"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
[UPDATE] Existing Iberia account holders are getting the 90,000 bonus avios deposited. New Iberia accounts are getting locked and Iberia requests more documents in order to re-instate the account.
Iberia has a lucrative offer right now that when you purchase a ticket in any class, they will credit 9,000 Iberia Avios into your account. But you must buy the ticket by June 24, 2018. One-way is permitted.
What can you do with Iberia Avios? Check out 6 Best Ways to Redeem Iberia Plus Avios
|Iberia Business Class from Chicago to Madrid|
If you can purchase 10 tickets, that means you will receive 90,000 Iberia Avios. If you have a specific redemption in mind, for instance, you just want to fly Iberia Business Class from Chicago – Madrid off-peak, then all you need is 34,000 Iberia Avios.
At the time of this writing, the cheapest route that I can find now is Santander, Spain to Madrid for $29. So if your goal is 34,000 Avios for the Business Class, then all you need to spend is $116 for 4 speculatively one-way tickets, and that will get you 36,000 Avios. Use Google Flight tool to help you search. It gets better when you go to book with Iberia website, due to exchange rate of Euro to U.S. Dollars, you might be able to get a ticket cheaper than $29. But be sure to use the credit card that does not have foreign transaction fees.
Below are a few more cheap routes, grab fast while you can:
- Santander to Madrid: $29 several dates
- Asturias to Madrid: $32 several dates
- Vigo to Madrid: $33 several dates
- Ibiza to Madrid: $34 July – September
- Malaga to Madrid: $34 September – next year
- Seville to Madrid: $34 September – next year
- Palma de Mallorca to Madrid: $35 July – October
- Bilbao to Madrid: $38 July – November
- Lisbon to Madrid: $46 several dates
- Paris to Madrid: $49 July – March
Keep in mind that the bonus avios you received will be only good until December 1, 2018. This means that you will need to redeem the earned bonus avios by December 1. Otherwise, they will be forfeited.
Do you need to fly to receive the Avios bonus?
No. All you need to make sure is to purchase the ticket by the deadline of June 24 (see statement below from an Iberia’s spokesperson).
According to a statement that the LoyaltyLobby received from an Iberia’s spokesperson:
“Our Iberia Plus cardholders will be able to keep the promotional Avios, if they don’t fly the purchased segments. And you can only redeem the Avios awarded through this promotion through the Iberia Plus programme. If the customers transfer these Avios to their BA Executive Club account, they will have a negative balance in the Iberia Plus programme, as those Avios wouldn’t have been spent by the date mentioned above.”
My suggestion is if you are concerned about Iberia withdraws the Avios after your no-show, you should purchase these tickets after December 1, 2018. That way you will be redeeming the avios before your no-show flights.
Below is the full terms and conditions from Iberia:
- Special offer of an extra 9,000 Avios for each ticket purchased between 21 and 24 June 2018 (maximum of 90,000 promotional Avios per member) on iberia.com for a flight operated by Iberia, Iberia Express or Air Nostrum. The Avios will be added within 10 days of the purchase to the Iberia Plus account of all customers identified as members of the Iberia Plus programme during the purchase process.
- If the customer requests a refund, either because it is permitted by the fare or for any other reason, the promotional Avios will be withdrawn from their account. The extra promotional Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer’s account. The redemption terms and conditions are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Iberia Plus programme.
- For example, if a customer purchases tickets on Iberia.com for three people to fly from Seville to Madrid and two of the people are identified as Iberia Plus members during the purchase process, 9,000 Avios will be credited to both of these people within 10 days of the purchase. These two people must have redeemed at least 9,000 Avios by 1 December 2018, or this same amount of Avios will be withdrawn from their account.