"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
A reader sent an email to me worrying about the Hilton Free Weekend Night Reward he earns each year from simply being the cardmember of the American Express Hilton Aspire Card. He used the free night reward to make a booking with Hilton, but after canceling the reservation, the free night reward never returned to his Hilton Honors account, and he could not book a new reservation.
|Hotel del Coronado|
|Table of Contents [show/hide]|
Hilton Free Weekend Night Reward Cancellation Policy
Hilton Free Weekend Night Reward & Points Combination Booking’s Cancellation Policy
Hilton Free Weekend Night Reward Certificate Not Returned After Cancelling the Reservation
Please know that international bookings can take a bit longer to reflect the certificates and points back into the account after cancellation.
How to Request Hilton to Return the Free Night Reward Certificate After Canceling the Reservation?
- Hilton call center’s supervisors cannot do anything about it.
- The Hilton department that handles the issue does not have a phone number, and they can only be contacted via email.
- Hilton representatives cannot call the department internally either.
- Do not wait or take the Hilton representative’s words to wait it out 1 day, etc., because that will not work. If you are not in a hurry to use the free night certificate again, you may find yourself waiting for it to return, which can take up to weeks or months or never.
- Do not contact the property directly because they cannot return the certificate or the points, and it has to be done by Hilton directly. If a Hilton representative tells you so, hang up and call again.
- Contact Hilton right away and have the representative create a Loyalty Case for this matter. You can contact Hilton through the following methods:
- If you are a Hilton Honors Diamond elite member, call the Diamond desk at 1-800-548-8690.
- If you are not a Diamond member, call 1-800-HILTONS
- You can contact Hilton via a web form here and describe the issue.
- You can also contact Hilton via Twitter and Live Chat.
- A Hilton property gave me an email address [email protected] to request the certificate back. I have not tried this method personally, but I thought I would mention it here.
- Hilton’s representative will put in a loyalty case with a case number. It can take up to 5-7 business days, but in practice, if you stress your urgency and ask them to escalate the case, you likely receive the resolution within 24 hours.
- You will not hear back via email, unfortunately. So you will have to keep checking your Hilton Honors account for the refund status.
Editor’s Note: While this is not 100% guaranteed, if you are worried about award availability while you wait, consider redeeming your Hilton Honors points for the standard award room’s stay if you have sufficient points. Once your free night reward is returned to your account, you can cancel the points reservation and hope that the standard award room type is put back into the inventory for you to use the free night reward. Unfortunately, Hilton’s system is not capable of switching the points reservation to use the reward certificate at this time.