"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
If you have an eligible personal Amex Marriott Bonvoy credit card that can request an upgrade to the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant credit card, here’s a chance for you to earn $300 Marriott statement credit twice in the first year of your card membership.
Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant credit card has a high $450 annual fee but it offers $300 Marriott Bonvoy statement credit when you open the credit card and after you renew the card each year based on your card’s anniversary date. Below we’ll show you how that is possible to earn the $300 Marriott statement credit twice for a total of $600 Marriott statement credit in the first year.
A Trick To Upgrade Your Amex Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card to Brilliant Credit Card & Earn $300 Marriott Statement Credit Twice In The First Year
Timing is the key here in order to achieve this. Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant credit card offers $300 Marriott statement credit when you open the card. This “open” definition applies to card’s upgrade scenario as well. This means that, once you upgrade your Marriott credit card, you are entitled to the $300 Marriott statement credit, and then another $300 statement credit after your account’s renewal date. The renewal date is based on your old card’s anniversary date. Therefore, the key here is to request the upgrade perhaps 1-3 months before your old card’s renewal date because you still need to give ample time for your Brilliant card to arrive and use it to receive the Marriott statement credit.
- Check to see if you personal Amex Marriott credit card has an upgrade points offer to the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant credit card.
- If yes, is the upgrade points offer worth requesting? (My upgrade offer was 150k Marriott points).
- If yes, are you ~1-3 months close to your current Marriott credit card’s renewal date?
- If yes, request an upgrade and wait for your Brilliant card to arrive. You can then put eligible $300 spend on the card and receive $300 back as a statement credit. After that, when your old card’s renewal date comes up, you can put another eligible $300 spend on the Brilliant card and receive another $300 back as a statement credit.
After all said and done, you will receive a total of $600 Marriott statement credit after paying:
- The pro-rated annual fee between the old card and the upgrade. This is all taken care of by American Express, and
- Card’s renewal annual fee of $450.
How To Check & Upgrade Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card
- Use Amex web version (not mobile app), and sign into your account.
- On the main menu, expand the Cards section -> Personal Cards -> Check for Pre-qualified Credit Card Offers
- Look around on that page. If there’s an upgrade offer available to you, it will show there.
We recommend that you request upgrade to Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant credit card only when Amex has a good upgrade points offer as high as 150k Marriott Bonvoy points. From time to time, Amex does have that offer and each offer is targeted based on your account. Subscribe to our blog below and we’ll let you know when a high upgrade offer returns.
If you found this article useful, please share it! We’d love it also if you sign up for our points and miles newsletter or follow us on social media below so that we can let you know when we publish a new blog’s post about tips and tricks on points travel.