"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
InterContiental has three (3) resorts in French Polynesia, each managed by the same entity.
For those who want to redeem IHG One Rewards points or use IHG Anniversary Free Night for a free stay, it is impossible to book far in advance. It is known that all InterContinental resorts in French Polynesia do not open award availability until 120 days before your scheduled stay date.
I’ll provide some tips to help remind you and score award nights at each InterContinental resort in French Polynesia.
InterContinental Hotels in French Polynesia
There used to be four (4) InterContinental resorts in French Polynesia, but the InterContinental Moorea is unfortunately closed permanently.
Therefore, currently only three (3) InterContinental resorts in French Polynesia:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
- InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa
Each InterContinental resort has Overwater Bungalows.
Know When the Award Availability Opens
All three InterContinental resorts in French Polynesia do not open award availability until 120 days before your desired award stay dates. So, if you search far in advance, you may think there’s no award availability. Those resorts want to maximize cash bookings first and only open points booking four months before your desired stay date.
Use Google search and ask a question like “120 days from x date.” Google will show you the date 120 days from today, and you remind yourself of the date to go back and check award availability.
Use the IHG Award Calendar Search to Find Availability
The trick to having the IHG award calendar search show is to find a date that an award stay date is unavailable. Here’s how:
- Go to the IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) website.
- Provide your search parameters, pick a random date (one day is sufficient), and perform the search.
- If the result returns available for the date, change the date until you see this message: “Rooms are not available for Reward Nights on one or more of the selected dates.”
- Locate the link “View available dates” next to the message and click on it.
- You will see the award calendar showing what check-in dates and points stay are available. See the screenshot below.
The IHG award calendar search feature is also available on the IHG mobile app platform.
Have Enough Points for Award Stay Redemption
IHG One Rewards program does not use an award chart anymore. Free nights using IHG One points fluctuate based on the nightly rate. However, you get an idea of how many points are required at each resort below:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – from 50,000 points per night to 188,000 points per night.
- InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora – from 96,000 points per night to 120,000 points per night.
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa – from 189,000 points per night to 250,000 points per night.
InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa is the most expensive resort among the three. If you book when award availability is open, you may score a reasonable redemption rate at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa and InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora.
Avoid French Polynesia Cruise Dates
From my experience, if a cruise operates on a specific date, the award availability will not be available. This is because the least expensive standard rooms are booked far in advance at those resorts for cruise passengers. By the time points booking becomes open, there’s none left. So, factor in the cruise dates to help you score an award during the time you will be in French Polynesia.
Two major cruise lines sail in French Polynesia and around the society islands. To find their sailing dates, go directly to their websites below:
Stack with IHG Points and Free Nights Rewards
Remember to stack and maximize your redemption with ongoing IHG One Rewards benefits:
- IHG 4th Night Free
- IHG Anniversary Free Night Flex Reward
- InterContinental Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night Reward
IHG 4th Night Free
As long as there’s an award available for four (4) consecutive nights, you can enjoy the 4th IHG Reward Night Free if you are a cardholder of Chase IHG Credit Cards.
IHG Anniversary Free Night Flex Reward
The IHG Anniversary Free Night is valid for redemption levels of up to 40,000 points per night. The good news is that you can top off that free night certificate with additional IHG One Rewards points with no limit. Therefore, if award night is available, you can book using the free night certificate reward plus whatever points are needed.
InterContinental Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night
Subject to availability, the InterContinental Ambassador Free Weekend Night is a special rate. However, some InterContinental properties choose not to offer the rate.
You can check if the InterContinental resorts in French Polynesia offer the rate or not using the following link because it includes the InterContinental Ambassador Free Weekend Night rate code:
Checklist for Award Booking InterContinental Bora Bora and Tahiti Resorts
- InterContinental Resorts in French Polynesia is only open award availability 120 days (4 months) before your desired award stay date. Therefore, find out the date and set a reminder on your calendar.
- Use the IHG award search calendar and be flexible to move your stays around in case there is no availability on the date that you want.
- Ensure you have enough points for the redemption. A transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) points is instant if you need to top off your IHG One Rewards account.
- Avoid cruise dates, as cruise passengers typically book the lowest standard room, and as a result, the standard award room becomes unavailable.
- Stack your redemption with as many IHG Rewards Promotions and Offers available, including the 4th IHG Reward Night Free, IHG Anniversary Free Night, and InterContinental Ambassador Free Weekend Night.