"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
If your American Express credit card’s offer is targeted for the IHG’s hotel chain stay, you might be able to score some IHG points at a cheaper rate than the usual 100% bonus points purchase.
My American Express card has a targeted offer for Crowne Plaza and the offer is expiring on November 30, 2018.
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back – Crowne Plaza Hotels
I don’t have upcoming stays at Crowne Plaza, but the trick is to do a points and cash booking, and that somehow appears to trigger the bonus offer. Let’s take a look:
- Make sure your card is enrolled in the offer.
- Go to ihg.com/crowneplaza or whichever IHG’s chain hotel site your offer is.
- (Optional) Activate your favorite shopping portal’s cash back bonuses if any. I am not sure if that will earn the cash back or not on the cash portion since this is considered points booking, but I did it anyway.
- Search for the Crowne Plaza Paris – Republique in Paris, France because this Crowne Plaza appears to provide better cash portion to purchase IHG points (Thanks to IHG’s current 15% off cash + points booking promotion).
- 15,000 IHG Points + $75.65. This represents purchasing IHG points about 0.5 cents a piece.
- 20,000 IHG Points + $97.75. This represents purchasing IHG points about 0.48 cents a piece.
- Book 1 night and 2 nights because the offer is spend $250. The total comes to $271.15.
- Thank you for using your American Express Card ending in xxxx at IHG PTS & CASH