"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
Mont-Saint-Michel is a little bit far from Paris and getting there is somewhat expensive, renting a car to drive to Mont-Saint-Michel will give you the most flexibility in terms of time and freedom to explore the area. However, if driving is not an option, you can either attend an organized tour that will get you there and return, or do-it-yourself with public transportation.
In this post, I am going to compare the options between the organized tour and public transportation, and you can decide which makes the most sense to you.
It’s always good to shop around for tours as some tour company may offer cheaper than others. From my research, Viator (owned by TripAdvisor) has a day trip tour departing from Paris to Mont-Saint-Michel starting at $119 per person. The tour includes three options and the price will be based on the option you choose. The least expensive option will be only transportation and entry ticket to Mont-Saint-Michel. You are on your own to explore the area. No hotel pick-up and drop-off either.
The tour company that Viator uses is the PARISCityVision tour company. It’s recommended that you compare between the two booking sites and see which one makes the most sense. However, I find that Viator offers free 24-hours cancellation and PARISCityVision’s cancellation policy is unclear.
In short, if you are looking at this particular tour, you are likely to pay for at least $119 USD per person depending on the date for a very basic round-trip coach and an entry ticket. My search shows the least expensive for that tour is $137.
Use google search to search for promo code to use for Viator. You are likely to find at least 10% off the total tour’s cost. If not, use cashback shopping portal for Viator’s purchase as you will also earn cashback in return. Mr. Rebates is currently offering 5% cashback on Viator’s purchase. If you have an American Express credit card, watch out for the Amex offer for Viator also. Unfortunately, this tour is not available on Expedia and therefore you cannot use Chase Ultimate Rewards Points to purchase this tour. However, if you have the Barclay Arrival credit card, you can redeem its points towards this travel expense.
As we all know, going with public transportation requires a do-it-yourself method to figure out the transportation means, schedules, tickets, etc.
- To reach Mont-Saint-Michel from Paris, you have to take a train and then transfer to a bus.
- The public transportation is not very frequent and takes around 3-4 hours one-way.
- The train segment options is either the Intercities trains or TGV high-speed train. The high-speed train costs more double.
- Early departure ticket from Paris to Mont-Saint-Michel with Intercities train leaves around 7:30 AM and arrive around 11:30 AM with a bus connection only 10 minutes. The current cost is around $30 USD one-way. The TGV high-speed train takes lesser time with a bus connection 20 minutes, but the current cost is higher between $62 and $83 USD one-way.
- On the return, the early departure from Mont-Saint-Michel is around 10:00 AM arriving in Paris around 1:00 PM in the afternoon. The journey will be with a bus connection 20 minutes and then continue on with TGV high-speed train to Paris. The current cost varies based on the schedule between $80 USD and $92 USD. Intercities train is much cheaper and it currently costs around $30 USD, but the departure time from Mont-Saint-Michel is around 6:00 PM with a bus connection to train only 10 minutes, and arrive in Paris at 10:05 PM at night.
- Booking can be made at the station or online at https://en.oui.sncf/en/ – on the booking site:
- Select one-way or return.
- From: Paris (all stations – FR)
- To: Mont-Saint-Michel (FR) (Normand)
- Pick the date and time for the outbound and return.
- Number of passengers and do a Search.
- Follow the booking interface to purchase the ticket. You have the options to obtain the ticket as an E-ticket for your mobile phone or print at home, have it delivered to your home, or collect ticket from the automatic ticket machine or ticket office at the station. Collecting the ticket at the station requires that you have the exact same card that you used to purchase the ticket.