"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
To drive overseas (outside the United States), the rental car company requires an International Driving Permit (IDP). The permit basically translates your driver’s license into several foreign languages. It is similar to a passport book you must carry with you overseas if you plan on driving there.
|International Driving Permit (IDP) With AAA|
|Table of Contents [show/hide]|
How Long Does It Take to Get An AAA’s International Drivers Permit?
Obtaining an International Driving Permit (IDP) is really inexpensive.
How to Get An International Driving Permit With AAA in the USA?
- Locate a local AAA branch. AAA Branch Locator.
- You do not have to be a AAA member.
- Bring your current valid US driver’s license to the branch.
- Bring 2 passport photos. The AAA office can take a photo if you do not have them.
- The passport photo fee can be free if you are a AAA member, or they give you a discounted price based on the AAA location.
- If you are not a AAA member, there’s a small charge plus taxes for the passport photo service. In my case, I’m not a AAA member, so I was charged $15 + tax.
- At the branch, fill out the International Driving Permit application form provided at the AAA center. The form simply asks for basic information about you, birthplace, city and country, driver’s license number, your address (must match the address on your current driver’s license), dates of intended to travel and to drive, signature… all basic information and the agent is ready to help if you have any questions.
- The agent then needs to do some paperwork and may inform you to hang around the store while s/he works on it. It should not take long.
- Pay a $20 fee plus the passport photo service, if any. Credit cards are accepted.
- Sign the last page of your IDP under your photo, and you are all set.
The whole process is very easy and simple. The whole thing, including taking my passport photo there, took around 10 minutes in and out of the AAA office with a ready-to-go IDP.
Important Things to Know
- The International Driving Permit (IDP) requires your signature on the line directly beneath your photograph.
- Your valid US driver’s license must accompany the IDP at all times.
- The permit is valid for one year from the date of issue.
- The IDP’s front page states the start date and is written by the AAA agent.