"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
Update 04/14/2020 – Wyndham extends elite status through the end of 2021, and pauses points expiration until September 30, 2020.
Update 04/10/2020 – Marriott extends elite status through February 2022, including points expiration, free night and suite night awards.
This is the Master List of All Hotel Change and Cancellation Waivers, Points Expiration, Free Nights and Elite Status Extensions amid the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. We’ll update this list when we receiver new information from each individual hotel chain.
Photo below: Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Hotel in Maui
- All existing reservations, even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- Any new reservations you make, even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) that are booked between today and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- 2019 Status Extension: All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020, whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver, will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
- 2020 Status Extension: Hilton is extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
- Points Expiration: Hilton will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
- Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards: Hilton has extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).
- All existing reservations (booked April 1 or before) for arrivals through June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- With some very limited exceptions noted below, new reservations you make between April 2, 2020 and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations. The only exceptions are reservations booked after April 1, 2020 at select Destination properties and Special Events Rate reservations booked after April 1, 2020. The cancellation policies for a Special Event Rate will be noted in the rate’s Rate Rules section when booking.
- All Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible).
- Hyatt is suspending Points Expiration through December 31, 2020. As a reminder, Hyatt’s general policy is that points do not expire, but they will be forfeited if a member’s account is inactive for 24 months.
- All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021. This includes existing awards and awards that may be earned throughout this year with a 2020 expiration date. The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt, members do not need to take action. Awards that expired between March 1 and March 31, 2020 will be replaced with new awards on April 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
- Elite status and benefits will be extended for all existing elite members without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever your status was as of March 31, 2020, whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it will be automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date. All elite tier extensions should be reflected in members’ accounts no later than April 15, 2020.
- Hyatt also postpones the introduction of Off-peak and Peak point redemption (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until 2021.
- Existing bookings made through April 6, 2020 at all IHG hotels can be changed or cancelled for stays up to June 30, 2020.
- For new bookings, IHG has removed their more restrictive (pre-paid/non-refundable) Advance Purchase rate from sale until later in the year (excluding Greater China). This means that only IHG’s refundable/flexible rates are available when booking.
- For all members with points due to expire from April 1 through to the end of the year, IHG is extending the expiration date of points to December 31, 2020.
- Anniversary night certificates earned through IHG Rewards Club credit cards: The expiration date of anniversary certificates that are set to expire in 2020 will be extended. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through December 31, 2020.
Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.
- IHG is also reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more. See criteria below:
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, Marriott allows full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival, as long as the change or cancellation is made by June 30, 2020.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and June 30, 2020, Marriott allows the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.
- Points Expiration: The expiration of points will be paused until February 2021.
- Free Night Award: Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021. (Exception: Members in mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan the Free Night Awards will be extended 12 months into 2021 from the date of expiration).
- Suite Night Awards: Marriott extends the expiration of suite night awards by one year from December 31, 2020 to December 31, 2021.
- Elite Status Extension: Marriott will extend your elite status you earned in 2019 through February 2022.
- Free modifications or free cancellations for all existing and new reservations (in all countries and all RHG hotels worldwide) for stays until June 30, 2020.
- If a deposit has been paid for an existing reservation, Radisson will credit you the full amount for you to redeem on your next reservation, at the same property, until March 31, 2021.
- New reservations made between April 1 and June 30, 2020, for any future arrival date can be changed or canceled at no charge, up to 24 hours before the arrival date. This includes reservations with the advanced purchase rates described as non-cancelable.
- For reservations after June 30, 2020, normal cancellation policy will apply.
- Radisson Hotels is suspending its point expiration policy by six months, effective March 1, 2020.
- Radission also extended the elite status of members through February 2022, for those that would have expired in February 2021.
- Free Night E-certs earned using the Radisson Reward Visa card are scheduled to expire between March 1 and July 31, 2020, can be redeemed through June 30, 2021.
- Guests traveling with new or existing direct bookings for stays in any of Wyndham hotels through June 30, 2020 will have their cancellation or change penalties waived if the request is received at least 24 hours (or less if permitted by the hotel’s policy) prior to arrival.
- Guests who are prohibited from traveling to their booked hotel under applicable law will have their cancellation or change penalties waived on direct bookings.
- For new or existing direct bookings with arrivals after June 30, 2020, all of Wyndham properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
- Wyndham is pausing the expiration of any Wyndham Rewards points until September 30, 2020 and have extended current Wyndham Rewards Member Levels (status) for all members globally through the end of 2021.