Advertiser Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!
Citibank offers a few credit cards that earn Citi ThankYou (TY) points. These points are flexibile in a way that you can either redeem them for cash back or transfer them to Citi Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners for a much better value in return.
|Table of Contents [show/hide]
Which Citi Credit Cards Earn ThankYou (TY) Points?
- Citi Premier Credit Card
- Citi Prestige Credit Card
- Citi Rewards+ Credit Card
- Citi Rewards+ Student Credit Card
- Citi Double Cash Credit Card
What Other Ways To Earn ThankYou Points?
- Opening a targeted Citibank checking account ThankYou points bonus
- Purchasing ThankYou points
Can You Transfer Citi ThankYou Points to Another Person?
- TY points recipient’s account has to be a ThankYou Rewards member as well.
- You can only share a total of 100,000 TY points in a calendar year.
- You can only receive a total of 100,000 TY points in a calendar year.
- You can only share points earned through the use of your Citi credit card account.
- TY points that are earned through a Citibank checking account are not sharable.
- Shared points are only valid for 90 days from the date they are received.
When Do Citi ThankYou Points Expire?
- If you close your Citi ThankYou credit card account, your TY points will expire in 60 days. Citi will not extend that deadline.
- Citi allows TY points sharing between eligible TY accounts. So if you close your card and share your TY points to another person’s TY account, those shared points will expire in 90 days after they are shared.
- If you earn your TY points from opening a targeted Citibank checking account bonus, those points expire three (3) years from the end of the year in which those TY points were awarded.
- If you purchase TY points, those points expire one (1) year from the end of the year in which you purchased them.
How to Keep ThankYou Points From Expiring?
- If you must close your Citi ThankYou credit card account, you can transfer those TY points to Citi Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners prior to closing. But then those transferred points will be subject to the loyalty program’s points policy in terms of the expiration and redemption values. I personally don’t like transfer points to frequent flyer programs speculatively without a short term use in mind, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures!
- The best way to keep Citi ThankYou points from expiring is to consider downgrading your card instead of canceling it. For example, if you don’t want to pay for annual fee of Citi Prestige Credit Card, you can downgrade it to a much lower annual fee such as Citi Premier Credit Card or even downgrade to no annual fee at all such as Citi Rewards+ Credit Card or Citi Double Cash Credit Card. You’ll be able to keep your ThankYou points alive this way.