"Full Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!"
Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount allows you and another guest to travel together on a paid economy fare from $122 ($99 base fare plus applicable taxes and fees from $23 depending on your flight itinerary) to destinations that Alaska Airlines flies to.
The Alaska Airlines Companion Fare is one of the well-known benefits of personal and business Alaska Airlines Credit Cards.
- New cardholders must spend $6,000 or more on purchases to receive the companion fare discount code each account anniversary.
- Previous cardholders who had the card before the requirement change can continue receiving the companion fare discount code each account anniversary without spending $6,000.
I enjoy maximizing the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount benefit each year to fly with my travel companion to different places that Alaska Airlines flies to. So, I am putting together some creative ways to maximize your Alaska Airlines Companion Fare:
|Fly to Hawaii With Alaska Airlines Companion Fare to Save Money!|
Alaska Airline Companion Fare Details
You don’t need to worry about the blackout dates or eligible fare class as long as Alaska Airlines has economy cabin inventory available on a specific flight schedule you want to book. The primary traveler can just pay for the
full fare and the companion always pays only $99 plus taxes and fees.
- Personal and Business Alaska Airlines Credit Cards offer this benefit.
- Each year, on your account anniversary, you receive the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount code in your Alaska Airlines account.
- You must use an eligible Alaska Airlines credit card to purchase the ticket for the benefit to apply.
- From time to time, Alaska Airlines also offers Companion Fare as part of a promotional offer. Be sure to keep an eye out for that.
- The discount starts at $122 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $23).
- No blackout date.
- The discount can only be applied towards the Main economy, including Saver economy seats.
Maximizing Alaska Airlines Companion Fare Discount Benefit:
Use Alaska Companion Fare for Saver Economy Fare
Although the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount can be used for economy seats only, you can use the companion fare discount code for an already discounted economy seat known as “Saver.”
Alaska Airlines Saver fare is not as restrictive as competitors. You can still bring one carry-on and select an eligible Saver seat at the back if you purchase the ticket far in advance. If all Saver seats are taken, you and your travel companion will be assigned seats on the day of travel. If you must sit together, Saver fare may not be ideal. Moreover, you cannot change or cancel the Saver ticket without penalties.
Because the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare benefit is part of the Alaska Airlines Credit Cards, you can still receive a free checked bag on Alaska flights and up to six (6) other guests on the same reservation, even if your tickets are Saver.
Use Alaska Companion Fare for One-way, Round-trip, Stop-over, and Open-Jaw
Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount code can be used for a one-way, round-trip, or multiple-city itinerary.
- You can fly from Point A to Point B, stop for a few days, then continue to Point C. This is known as “Stop-over.”
- You can fly from Point A to Point B, stop over a few days, then take another transportation to Point C for a few more days. After that, fly from Point C to Point D or return to Point A. This is known as “Open-Jaw.”
The opportunities here are huge when you can use companion fare for a multiple-city itinerary. Be creative and have fun with the search!
Use Alaska Companion Fare for Special Sports Events, Concerts, Festivals, and Holidays
Superbowl, Mardi Gras, Christmas, New Year, and concert events…. to name a few. These types of events can cause the price of the flight ticket to go up. With Alaska’s famous Companion Fare, there are no blackout dates. Furthermore, as
long as there are two economy tickets available, the primary pays the full fare, and the companion pays just $99 plus taxes and fees.
Use Alaska Companion Fare for International Destinations
Does all-inclusive resorts in Mexico with pristine beaches sound good to you? Then you and your travel companion
are in luck. Alaska Airlines flies to several beach destinations in Mexico. If nature and rainforest sound better, Alaska Airlines can take you to Costa Rica. If you prefer closer to home, Hawaii and Canada fit the bill.
The following are the cities in each International destination that Alaska Airlines currently fly to:
- Mexico: Cancun, Guadalajara, Loreto, Los Cabos, Manzanillo,
Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo
- Costa Rica: Liberia, San Jose
- Canada: Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria
- Belize: Belize City
- Direct Link to Alaska Airlines Routes & Map
Use Alaska Companion Fare to Fly to Hawaii
Hawaii is generally expensive, and traveling there with someone is more fun. Thankfully, Alaska Airlines flies to Hawaii’s islands: Kauai, Kona (Big Island), Maui, and Oahu. So you can take advantage of the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare to take someone with you and save some money on the flights for two. Remember, one-way, round-trip, or even multiple-city itineraries are all eligible for companion fare discounts.
Use Alaska Companion Fare for Friends and Family
If you are the cardholder of the Alaska Airlines Credit Cards, do you know that you can still use the companion fare discount benefit for others, even though you are not flying? Yes, according to Alaska:
“The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the companion fare code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member allows two travelers to use his or her companion fare code,
then the member’s name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.“
Therefore, yes, you don’t have to be on the reservation. However, it is important that when you purchase the tickets using the companion fare discount code, you must use your credit card that has your name on it to book.
Use Alaska Companion Fare for First Class Upgrade
Alaska Airlines blog does a great job of explaining this first-class upgrade using the companion fare benefit. So, instead of re-iterating what they discussed, I recommend you read it here.
The gist is that although you can only use the Companion Fare discount code for economy class tickets, you can still save money for the first-class tickets, subject to the Alaska Airlines upgrade policy in the linked article above.
Where To Find Alaska Airlines Companion Fare Code
Alaska Airlines Companion Fare is a discount code available within your Alaska Airlines account. Once you are eligible to receive the companion fare discount code, you can locate the code(s) by following the steps below:
On a computer’s desktop web browser:
- Go to the official Alaska Airlines website and log into your Mileage Plan account.
- Click on your name in the right-hand corner and click the Discounts and companion fare codes.
- If available, the Companion Fare discount code is presented on the page, as seen in the screenshot below.
How to Use Alaska Airlines Companion Fare
The process to use the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare discount code is straightforward. There are a couple of ways to do it:
- Book and use the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare code through the SHOP button on the Alaska Airlines website’s Discount and Companion Fare Codes page. See the screenshot below.
- Book and provide the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare code in the Discount or Companion Fare code field when you search for flights.
Whichever method you use, you must locate the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare code in your Alaska Airlines account (see the section above). I prefer the SHOP button method because I do not need to worry about the lengthy code to use. Alaska Airlines system automatically inputs the discount code into the Discount or Companion Fare code field on the search page and automatically selects two (2) adults. After that, it’s your normal flight search with Alaska Airlines.