Advertiser Disclosure: We love living points life by using points and miles to elevate travel experiences. In the interest of being transparent with you, we may be compensated from an approved credit card's application, or from some of the products and services recommended on this site. This only happens when you click on our affiliate links. We also earn commissions from purchases made through Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support and especially for reading this blog! Please see our Advertiser Disclosure for more details!
I’ve recently learned that there’s a way to redeem Amtrak points + cash for sleeper car accommodations.
|Amtrak Business Class From Vancouver Canada to Seattle
|Table of Contents [show/hide]
Amtrak Cash and Points Booking
The Trick to Combine Amtrak Cash and Points For Sleeper Car Accommodations
- Bedroom Suite
- Family Bedroom
- Accessible Bedroom
All Private Sleeper Cars come with complimentary meals, lounge access and a personal car attendant. The Roomette layout is bunk beds configuration and can accommodate up to two (2) people. Roomette is the most economical in terms of pricing and therefore it also requires lesser Amtrak points for redemption because Amtrak Guest Rewards booking fluctuates based on the ticket’s fare (dynamic award pricing). Amtrak does not charge the room type per person, but they charge extra for the second person that is staying in the same Roomette.
- Book a Roomette for one person on Amtrak website all on points.
- After your reservation is booked, call Amtrak at 1-800-872-7245 and tell the agent that you want to add another person to your Roomette by paying cash. Amtrak agent will do that and charge you accordingly.
- Take a look at the screenshots below. As you can see, one ticket for a Roomette from LAX to Seattle in the peak summer time for an almost 34 hours journey costs you $680. Two tickets cost you $840. So the difference in price for two adults is $160. This is the amount that you’d pay to add an extra person to the Roomette that you booked all on points.
Amtrak Transfer Partners
- Go directly to Points.com
- Create an account if you don’t have an account yet. If you do have an account, simply sign in and click on Exchange under the Menu on the left hand side.
- Simply follow the screen to see participating rewards programs and the exchange rate.
Once again, I personally do not think the exchange rate is good unless there’s a certain rewards program that you do not see you’ll be using.
Amtrak Credit Cards
Purchase Amtrak Points
- Offer expires February 26, 2021.
- Direct Link to the Offer
Amtrak Sleeper Car Tickets Change & Cancellation Policy
- Cancellation Refunds: Full refund to original form of payment or eVoucher with no fees if canceled 121 days or more before departure. Refund to original form of payment with 25% fee charged if canceled 120 to 15 days before departure. Within 14 days of departure, only refundable to non-refundable eVoucher with a 25% cancellation fee.
- No change fee
- Cancellations: A 10% points penalty is assessed for any refund (redeposit) to the Member account. If canceling a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional “close-in” penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive and Select Plus members).
- Modifications: A points difference (to new, prevailing fare) will apply in all cases with a 10% points penalty withheld on any fare difference returned to member. If modifying a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional “close-in” penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive and Select Plus members).